Removing portlight on 40/40

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Riki

Removing portlight on 40/40

Post by Riki »

We've been tracking down a leak on the side of our 40/40. We've been seeing rusty water coming down from the top deck main traveler and also noted some rusty water stains on the bulkhead inside the head. Thinking these two were related, we took down the ceiling in the head and noted that the there was no evidence of any leaks in the traveler bolts and overall no leaks. We then took down the ceiling above the galley and all the traveler bolts looked like they were in very good shape with no evidence of rusty water. That was the good news - everything looks water tight in those concerning areas.

Bad news is we don't know where the interior leak is coming from. Next, we decided that we would remove the portlight right above the nav station because during our survey the surveyor noted that there might be a soft spot around that portlight and there had been some dampness around the nav station and it's on the other side of the galley wall. So, we removed the exterior rim, removed all the screws on the inside and tried to remove the silicone, caulking, don't know whatever else was there. Despite scraping for over a good hour, the portlight wouldn't budge (even with tapping (hammering) on the portlight). This makes me feel very good that these portlights are so solid and so solidly in place, but now what to do? Has anyone removed and replaced portlights on these boats? Any suggestions?

I think there's a chance that the leak was coming in from the external screws on the portlight, since some of them looked slightly rusty, so we could just rebed these with silicone or some sort of adhesive. Would you put anything between the external rim and the fiberglass - any sort of caulking type material?

At this point, we have the boat on the hard with the cover on and looking to figure out what to do with this portlight, so that we could launch at the end of April. Any thoughts, experiences, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Riki
1997 Freedom 40/40 Hull #27

BillSmith

Re: Removing portlight on 40/40

Post by BillSmith »

You don't mention it so I'll ask,

Did you use a heat gun to loosen the caulking?
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

Riki

Post by Riki »

No, we did not. Would you recommend that? Again - any and all thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated!
Thanks,
Riki
1997 Freedom 40/40 Hull #27

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Anytime I remove glue, caulk, sealant, Loctite, etc., heat is #1 step, unless the materials don't allow. Heat should break down or make gummy enough that it no longer bonds.

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2014/ju ... ttings.asp
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

Jamiewornson

Post by Jamiewornson »

I have a 1988 Freedom 30 and am trying to replace the lenses on the fixed port lights. Is the proper way to get at the lenses to pull off the outside frame or the inside frame? they're both so tight and I don't want to damage them so I need a place to start. sure would appreciate any help from one of you veterans

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Wish I could help but I just caulked mine in place and live with the glazed look. Maybe if you Google Bomar glass replacement someone has posted something. When I'm ready for the expense, I am going to replace them all. Best to you on the project!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Jamiewornson

Post by Jamiewornson »

thanks anyway I'll try Bomar