Engine driven Sea Frost system removal

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Kommy000

Engine driven Sea Frost system removal

Post by Kommy000 »

Hi,
Just wondering if anybody with engine driven Sea Frost refrigeration system, ever removed it themselves.
My boat came with it and seems like it is leaking somewhere and working properly. I looked through maintenance records from previous 2 owners and looks like it was leaking every 2 years and had service performed to "fix" those leaks and recharged.
So instead of spending more money fixing it and dealing with running engine twice a day just to keep the refrigeration going, I was thinking of removing it and installing 12/110 v self contained Engel fridge and keep the icebox for storage, maybe even cut it out to create a bigger storage.
Anyways, was hoping to get some tips or instructions on how to remove Sea Frost system myself. I do have original manual on installation of it, so I can just "read" it in reverse, lol. Again, don't even know if it is possible to do it yourself... Don't know if I'm supposed to have a marine guy show up to evac all the R134 out of it? I'm guessing the removal should be straight forward with compressor running of the engine and just follow the lines to the cold plates and also electrical connection removal, but I guess I can keep same wire for the 12v connection for new fridge.
Thanks

RadioZephyr

Re: Engine driven Sea Frost system removal

Post by RadioZephyr »

I did it last year and it was no big deal. Just disconnect and remove it, the refrigerant lines should be self-sealing.

Where are you located? I know someone who may be interested in taking it off your hands. If you’re in New England, he’d probably do the removal for you too.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Kommy000

Re: Engine driven Sea Frost system removal

Post by Kommy000 »

I'm in Tampa Bay Florida on saint Petersburg side