F35 (Pedrick) Windlass

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
SteveMamaroneck

F35 (Pedrick) Windlass

Post by SteveMamaroneck »

Any F35 owners have recommendations on a windlass? I recently bought a 94' F35 that has a SeaWolf Windlass which was added by the original owner and is no longer operative. The front locker is rather shallow (~12") and the current horizontal windlass rubs against the front of the self-tacking jib on the camberSpar. My goal is to replace it, but the design options are more limited and I would welcome any pictures or thoughts from existing owners. I sail the Long Island Sound, most of the anchorage spots have depths of 20 feet.

Best, Steve
Steve and Angela
Shooting Star F 35 (P)
1994 Wing Keel 4.5’
3GM30F
Mamaroneck, NY

Camino

Re: F35 (Pedrick) Windlass

Post by Camino »

SteveMamaroneck »I have a1999 f35P and have an original Muir horizontal windlass - pic below is old but all I have for now - I'll take more this week hopefully - pic shows anchor locker cover - Muir windlass is on shelf under and aft in locker - that depth is probably 12" or so - plenty of depth for chain and rode forward of that - quite deep forward -

I've seen other f35 P's with similar to mine....

Can you take a pic and share info?
Attachments
IMG_1904.jpg
IMG_1904.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 7272 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

SteveMamaroneck

Post by SteveMamaroneck »

Thanks for the reply, below is a picture from the side where you can see the windlass and also one looking toward the bow.

If you could snap a few photos it would be very helpful. On the 99' is there an additional cleat to tie off the line and relieve the pressure on the windlass? I have the two bow cleats but many windlass setups have a dedicated cleat.
Attachments
View 2.jpg
View 2.jpg (44.89 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
Front view2.jpg
Front view2.jpg (73.65 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
Steve and Angela
Shooting Star F 35 (P)
1994 Wing Keel 4.5’
3GM30F
Mamaroneck, NY

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Steve,

We have a smaller footprint windlass installed on our F35 Pedrick. Will search for pictures and post later tonight or shoot a photo tomorrow.

Which reminds me of our humongous splice between rode and chain that won't travel smoothly through said windlass.

There's always something... :roll:
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

I have the Lewmar Pro Fish installed by Paul Dennis. He said it is better to have the windlass above deck because it will corrode "less fast" than one below. Been trouble free.

You do have to watch the pile in the locker. I have 100' of chain and 100' of rope. (When I sail near the Bay of Fundy, I wish I had all chain. Tides are big there.)

The chain pile can block the hole from the windlass and cause the motor to stop. I carry a hockey stick (either kids size or one cut down) to move the chain pile every 20'. I wish I had the anchor locker cut open so the chain could fall into the locker at the foot of the vee berth and had that locker shut off from the forward cabin.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Upload of pics is 256kb? Too small. My personal FTP space is currently a mystery to me. Will try again after a bit of pondering.

We have a small footprint Lewmar. Horizontal feed, guts of electronics in chain locker. As another has mentioned, humidity in there a problem. Our original rusted. Have some long thin bolts that secure the windlass to deck. They can catch chain or rode. Process therefore requires constant ''hands on' feeding or sorting.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

my windlass - - Muir - don't know the number as I can't see anything! I tired 2 years ago to find out about parts, etc. for this windlass but couldn't locate anything - the company I believe no longer exists! Pics below: wanted to show my rope to chain splice but hard to see!- doesn't get caught on the gypsy :). Also lots of room. See the little lanyard for snubbing while underway. (plus I add a snubber line to the rope rode while anchoring - that snubber is 5/8” snubbed to the rode and when given slack, is cleared off to a fore deck cleat.
I didn’t upload one pic of the name stamp on the Muir - can’t read the model number. Says Easy Weigh. Model isn’t made I’m sure.
Attachments
IMG_2104.jpg
IMG_2104.jpg (8.7 KiB) Viewed 7144 times
IMG_2108 (1).jpg
IMG_2108 (1).jpg (7.32 KiB) Viewed 7144 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

dwight

Post by dwight »

Email some photos of your Muir windlass to me, and I'll see what I can find.

Dwight@imtra.com
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Dwight was a life-saver for me when my Muir windlass died in Belize & I needed to replace the worm gear. Imtra was able to get the parts that I needed. Shipping it into Belize was another matter...

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

Just a note to say I’ve been happy with my Muir VR1250 windlass, and with Imtra Corp of New Bedford, whom I believe is the US distributor. They Have had the parts I wanted, and have been nice to work with. imtra.com.
Of course my windlass is situated on deck, as the F32 has no hatch to the chain locker
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost