Electric head replacement

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Camino

Electric head replacement

Post by Camino »

I’m replacing the electric sea era raritan head on our f35 p - toilet is bolted down to raised lip in Head with no access panel cut. 4 bolts. My idea I’d to loosen the 4 bolts, lift up the toilet base enough to slide in a couple of tiny strong magnets to secure the bolts from dropping down into the non-access raised lip - and then carefully remove the nuts and remove the toilet without hopefully dropping the bolts down the hole - I’d love anyone’s ideas of doing this operation! I thought of shooting 5200 in there onto the bolt base and waiting until dries also.

I’m assuming the bolt heads are not secured and will just drop down if not is removed..... could be wrong...

Anyone do this?

If a bolt drops I can always cut an access hatch but rather do it an easier way....

Thanks
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

mike cunningham

Re: Electric head replacement

Post by mike cunningham »

Sounds like the set up is similar to the F30. The head (and pump) sits on a FG shelf with no access to underside of molding. I needed to get at the head bolts and I just wanted to be able to access the space in general. I purchased a screw in plate similar to the one covering the emergency tiller access on the transom. I cut an appropriate hole in the shelf top adjacent to the head and had the access I needed to get the nuts off and to access the area if I dropped one. Later I installed the plate assembly and closed it up. Looks fine and works like a charm. If you study the layout a little you can cut the hole such that you can barely see the plate when everything is buttoned down.

I removed the pump and all the head plumbing including holding tank. My head consists of the original bowl, the seat and cover and that's it. The head itself has an epoxy plug at the drain. I exclusively use wag bags in the bowl and store used ones in a sealable 5 gal bucket for disposal ashore. This works great for me as a singlehander but definitely not for everyone. I just could not deal with carrying sloshing sewage around in the bow of my boat. The size of the pile of junk I wound up with when I did this job was amazing. The holding tank vent at the bow has been repurposed as my backup bilge pump outlet and I have a nice storage locker up fwd where the tank used to be. Certainly not going to be a positive when it comes time to sell the boat but I am not worried about that.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

bad

Post by bad »

I like Mike's approach. If you go the magnet rout, make sure everything is magnetic

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

We had a standard C-head composition toilet in our RV. We liked it so much that we put in a C-head shorty in our last boat. Sold that and the new owner didn't want it so I am in the process of putting it in the current boat. I currently have it on the existing one-piece setup but am thinking of cutting the toilet section out to lower it. Holding tank and all the lines have been removed. Will put a new bank of house batteries on that side.
Attachments
20200612_113354_compress52.jpg
20200612_113354_compress52.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 6288 times
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

Camino

Post by Camino »

942FFEE5-15D5-4446-9B9D-2D2BDA3355F1.jpeg
942FFEE5-15D5-4446-9B9D-2D2BDA3355F1.jpeg (17.43 KiB) Viewed 6254 times
New sea era raritan electric toilet installed - not wired as I forgot to bring the right size wire connectors. Figures. Installing was easy. Taking off the old hoses was awful :twisted: Those 4 “bolts” I was so worried about turned out to be wood screws (I realize I should have examined these before working myself up in a dither!).

Stephanie said “no way” :D so I marched right down to Home Depot Emeryville and bought wire connectors. All tidied up and sweet. It’s 4:30. We’re going to have a beer. Happy 4th to All :D

Sailing 61 North- beautiful boat and good work! Envy your location. Many years ago I almost took a job in Valdez -
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

So did you replace either the same model? I have a manual Raritan but thinking of going electric. Have you been happy with yours?
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Camino wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:36 pm
942FFEE5-15D5-4446-9B9D-2D2BDA3355F1.jpegNew sea era raritan electric toilet installed - not wired as I forgot to bring the right size wire connectors. Figures. Installing was easy. Taking off the old hoses was awful :twisted: Those 4 “bolts” I was so worried about turned out to be wood screws (I realize I should have examined these before working myself up in a dither!).

Stephanie said “no way” :D so I marched right down to Home Depot Emeryville and bought wire connectors. All tidied up and sweet. It’s 4:30. We’re going to have a beer. Happy 4th to All :D

Sailing 61 North- beautiful boat and good work! Envy your location. Many years ago I almost took a job in Valdez -
Thanks Tom - I am giving myself 2 years to get it back on the right track. Spent the fourth with the guy who bought my last boat. A lovely 30+ knot sail after we left the Anchorage.
Attachments
20200704_131956_compress13.jpg
20200704_131956_compress13.jpg (178.78 KiB) Viewed 6222 times
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

Camino

Post by Camino »

TonyB - I’ve had this boat for 4 yrs and really do like the electric raritan, with built in macerater. All previous boats had manual pump heads and no macerater. Wiring is straight forward using heavier gauge wire. Head is aft with holding tank behind aft stateroom and pump outs are free here so.... Until just recently the boat has not been plugged into shore power and I use a small solar panel (need a larger one for longer voyages) and no problems with power usage. I started plugging in during pandemic due to boat projects at dock and ease of freely using hot water, shower, ac for power tools, etc.

Beautiful sail!
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

:D
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

Greywine

Post by Greywine »

Even knowing this is possible, I don't see how to get the old head removed. Any tips?
Attachments
PXL_20210328_153903053.jpg
PXL_20210328_153903053.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 4640 times