Is this a G10 rig?

seadago

Re: Is this a G10 rig?

Post by seadago »

Seems a complicate rig, but it isn't really. Remember, Gio adapted the setup of traditional Dutch barges, so the system has been tried and tested.

I put grommets every two feet on the luff, and on either side, top and bottom, of the batten pockets. I have five full length battens on each sail. I did this to give me flexibility on how I was going to lace my sails to the mast. I don't use all of them. The more turns of the rakbanden round the mast, the more friction resistance you'll have when hoisting.

For the boom choke, y copied the idea of the original rigging and had them made of wide and stiff webbing with ss rings sewn onto them. If you check in previous posts of mine, there are some pics of them.
The choke is not fixed like on a Nonsuch. This is because I have to change the height of the boom by a couple of feet in order to set the highest reef on the sail and keep the sail trimmed. A webbing choke that slides up and down the mast allows me to do this. The choke is attached to the mast with a line. I can change the length and tension of that line, but mostly I don't, and control the camber of the sail with the outhawl and the angle of the boom.

Rafael
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Thanks Rafael. I did look at your other post regarding the chocker and will save the picture. I'll figure it out, just needed a little direction to get this going. Now to suck up some OT to pay for sails....
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

andygc

Post by andygc »

Sailing-61-North

Can I just toss in a couple of small points? The word "rakbanden" is plural. The original design of the rig does not use a spiral line down the luff, it uses a series of short lines, using the method used by Dutch sailing barges. If I remember correctly they were the outer sheath of braid on braid rope, fixed to the sail at one end and stoppered through a cringle at the other. That shouldn't catch on the boom lift eyeplate. I wonder if Rafa had problems because of using a continuous line. The details are somewhere in the information posted here about the rig.

In your photos you have a line tied round the mast as a temporary yoke strop (choker). Do you know that the ends of the yoke go through the eye plates on the front of the boom when they are tied round the boom?

Andy
Feronia
(UK Freedom 30 cat ketch, build number 107)
River Exe, Devon

seadago

Post by seadago »

Thanks Andy, and you are quite correct, it is plural. I've seen traditional vessels in Holland with both, a continuous line, lashed in different ways, and also with parrels attached as you describe to the luff, with wooden beads (kloten) on them. Very old fashioned!
Initially, I did not like the continuous spiral line either. I fashioned parrels with beads (resin, not wooden) and I put four or five on the sails instead of the continuous line. Results were mixed. They tended to get tangled when hoisting, limited the depth of the reefs I could have, and I could not get a good shape on the sail. It took a lot of tension on the halyard to get the luff straight. And they did get cought in the pad eye and boom halyard tackle. Then I started using the continuous line, retaining the top two and bottom two parrels at the head and tack of the sail, and relocating the boom tackle to the front of the mast. This, in my particular case, seems to work best in most conditions.
It's a matter of trial and error in many cases, and personal preference, and experimenting is key, IMO, to get it "right".
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop